To date, there are several types of lifting, which allow you to correct the deficiencies caused by aging of the face and neck.
Most often for this purpose, a facelift (cervico-facial lifting) is used. This is a surgical correction of the signs of aging around the neck, as well as the face, from the temples to the lower part of the cheeks.
This operation is carried out for aesthetic purposes, therefore it cannot be covered by insurance.
Содержание статьи (Contents)
- 1 Facelift surgery: we dispel myths
- 2 Objectives of a facelift surgery
- 3 Principles
- 4 Preparing for the operation
- 5 Type of anesthesia and hospitalization conditions
- 6 How is the surgery performed?
- 7 Postoperative period
- 8 Results of a facelift surgery
- 9 Possible disadvantages
- 10 Possible complications
Facelift surgery: we dispel myths
Often people suffer for years, reeling from age-related changes. However, even if their financial capabilities are not limited, they do not go to the surgeon. The reason for this behavior is quite clear – in our society prevail stereotypes about plastic surgery.
It is not uncommon for people to refuse plastic surgeries because they know someone who wanted to save money and received a disgraceful result at a low price. What beliefs become an insurmountable wall on the path to a surgeon?
- The results of the facelift surgery will strike the eye, after the seams, there will be visible scars.
- Facelift surgery is an expensive procedure that can be replaced by a regular visit to a cosmetologist.
- Facial plastic surgery leads to a long run out of time.
- There are other more effective methods for restoring the contour of the face.
- Having visited a plastic surgeon once, you will become his regular client, as the result does not last long.
- With the help of a facelift surgery, it is impossible to correct the problems of the face.
How justified is every opinion that has settled in the mind of the average person? We’ll tell you one thing almost all of them have nothing to do with reality.
The most frightening consequence of any operation is the possibility of scarring, which is almost impossible to disguise. However, a facelift surgery doesn’t belong to this type of surgery. Photos before and after will prove that you shouldn’t be afraid of scars. But this will only be possible if you go to a reliable specialist.
A facelift is a procedure that allows you to look younger for 12-15 years with little or no trace. All seams are hidden in the natural folds of the skin and behind the hairline, where they are not visible. A good surgeon will do his job in such a way that your face will look refreshed and rejuvenated without tension and unnaturalness.
It’s very difficult to achieve a natural effect. For this purpose, the specialist should adequately assess the age changes and choose the correct method for their elimination. Naturally, in the arsenal of the surgeon, there must be not only one technique. In his hands, there must be many tools that he skillfully applies in his practice.
Of course, the services of a well-experienced specialist are not cheap, but the result is worth it. The face is a zone that you cannot trust amateurs. Having decided once to save money, you can ruin your appearance so that no one can correct it later.
Do not rely on the achievements of cosmetology, when you find that the face oval loses its former shape. After the age of 45, not a single cosmetologist can correct the age-related changes. You will spend a lot of money, and you will not get the desired result. At the same time, a facelift will allow you to forget about the problem for 10 years! It’s enough to hope for a miracle – it’s time to act!
Yes, the operation will take time, but not as long as many people think. On average, the recovery takes 2-2.5 weeks. It’s not so much, considering that as a result, you get a beautiful, well-groomed and youthful face. Facelift surgery before and after is the sky and the earth. The effect is worth “falling out” of your usual schedule for 2 weeks. However, you will see the final result only after 1.5-2 months.
The main task of a facelift surgery is the restoration of the oval of the face. A surgeon can correct the existing problems on the face by laser blepharoplasty, lipofilling or other procedures that are determined individually depending on the condition of the patient’s skin and his wishes.
Objectives of a facelift surgery
The purpose of the operation is to eliminate the sagging and flabby skin and facial muscles (sideburns, eyebrows, cheeks, face oval) and neck, as well as a deficit or excess fatty tissue.
The purpose of the operation is not to change the shape or appearance of the face. Rather, the simple restoration of various anatomical structures of the face and neck (skin, muscles, fat) allows the patient to regain the appearance that he had several years ago.
The muscles are stretched again by removing their sagging. Then the skin applied to the new contours but without excessive tension. This double action allows you to get a natural result (because the skin is not too stretched) that is long enough (because the muscular surface is dense).
Postoperative effects are usually fairly simple (the skin is “less expressed” because it is slightly injured).
Possible excess fat can be eliminated by liposuction.
Rather, if the face is too thin, it can be corrected by injecting the patient’s own fat (lipostructure). Thus, the face and neck in some sense are rebuilt and reconstructed.
However, mimic wrinkles, wrinkles “crow’s feet” or near-mouth wrinkles cannot be changed. Deep wrinkles are corrected by increasing the tension of the skin, but they will not disappear completely.
The appearance of the eyelids is not corrected with the help of a local cervico-facial lifting. The necessary cuts of the skin are hidden mainly on the border of the hair zone or in the hair (at the temples and occiput), and also around the ear. The scars are almost completely hidden.
A facelift surgery can be done already at the appearance of the first signs of aging (sagging of the cheeks, neck, and deterioration of the facial line) or if a motivated request for such correction is received, as a rule, at the age of 40-45 years.
This operation can be combined with another facial plastic surgery: an eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty; correction of the sagging of the lateral part of the eyebrow and correction of the crow’s feet; correction of sagging and forehead wrinkles (usual or endoscopic forehead lift). It can also be supplemented by therapeutic and medical-surgical treatment (laser resurfacing, dermabrasion, peeling, injections of hyaluronic acid, and injections of botulinum toxin).
In conversations with a surgeon, you will need to point out all the shortcomings that you want to improve or remove. Having correctly understood your request, the surgeon will become your guide to achieving future results and choosing the methods. He may be able to discourage you from an operation or offer alternatives.
Preparing for the operation
It’s necessary to undergo a general preoperative examination by referral from a doctor. Consultation with an anesthesiologist should be no later than 48 hours before the surgery.
One month before the operation, you have to stop taking medications containing aspirin and stop smoking. Within two weeks after the operation, it is also worthwhile to refrain from smoking.
Before the operation, you should not drink or take food for 6 hours, you must get rid of make-up and wash your hair.
Type of anesthesia and hospitalization conditions
A facelift surgery can be performed under general or under a local in-depth anesthesia with intravenous injection of tranquilizers (“awake” anesthesia).
The choice of the option is based on the consultation with the surgeon and anesthesiologist. Usually, there is a hospitalization for one or two days.
How is the surgery performed?
Each surgeon uses his own method, which he applies in each individual case to achieve the best results. However, some general basic principles should be clarified:
- The cut is mostly hidden in the hair and around the ear.
- With the help of the cuts under the skin, detachment is made. Its area depends on each specific case, in particular, on the degree of the weakness of the tissue.
- Then the extremely accurate and dosed tension of the muscular-aponeurotic surface is performed to correct deep sagging while preserving the natural facial expression.
- In the case of local fat deposits, liposuction or lipectomy using scissors will be performed: it can be related to the neck, chin, jaw, and cheek. Rather, in case of loss of volume, it will be effective to add the patient’s fat (lipostructure) to achieve the desired result.
- The natural skin is combined with a form created by muscle mobility, lipostructure or liposuction. Excess skin is removed, the seams are applied without tension.
- At the end of the surgery, most surgeons put a bandage around the head.
Facelift surgery for men has some features (the skin is thicker, there is a displacement of hair zone, hair hide scars worse), which the surgeon will tell you in detail.
Depending on the surgeon, the area of correction and the method used, the operation can last from two to four hours.
You can leave the hospital either the next day or the day after the operation.
In the first days after the surgery, the patient should not be surprised or worried about:
– ecchymosis (bruises) around the neck and chin
– a feeling of painful or unpleasant tension, especially behind the ears and around the neck.
On average bruises and swelling disappear in two weeks after the surgery. A month later, the swelling almost completely disappears. Ears and cheeks regain their normal sensitivity after a few months.
Sometimes within a few weeks or even months after the operation, you can observe a feeling of discomfort, tension of the tissues, a little unpleasant severity, which eventually disappears completely.
The scars are hidden in front and behind with the help of hair. The only slightly visible area in front of the ear lobe can be temporarily hidden by the haircut or make-up.
Schematically: – on the fifth or sixth day, you can show your face to the relatives. On the twelfth day, you can show your face to the friends. But it’s better not to show your face to people who do not need to know about the operation, it is necessary to envisage three to four weeks without having any incidents during this period.
Results of a facelift surgery
After one to three months, you can have a good idea of the final result. But the scars are still slightly pinkish and hardened. They will start smoothing only starting from the sixth month.
Thanks to the progress achieved both in terms of pre- and post-operative care, and in terms of the medical-surgical methods, a very noticeable rejuvenation effect is achieved, and it remains very natural. The face does not have a “surgical” appearance and again acquires approximately those features that the patient had eight or twelve years ago, which generally makes his face look rested, relaxed and refreshed.
This physical improvement is accompanied, as a rule, by the best psychological condition. The purpose of this surgery is to achieve improvement, not perfection. If your desires are realistic, the result will satisfy you very much.
For a long period of time, a facelift surgery helped in the fight against the signs of time, but aging continues to do its job. Therefore, probably only ten years later it will be possible to talk about a new operation.
Modern methods allow, if necessary, to conduct a new operation after this period. However, such a perspective should fit into the system of facial maintenance and care with the help of easier additional methods that will postpone the new operation as much as thoroughly and regularly they are applied.
In general, we can talk about:
- swelling in some areas after a period of three months, which may require a massage
- the partial weakening of tissues, in particular, the anterior part of the neck, in case of a serious ptosis before the operation
- too noticeable scars or hair loss in the area of the temple (baldness), which may require surgical “correction” (from six months to one year).
Fortunately, serious complications are infrequent as a result of the correctly performed operation. In practice, a huge number of the surgeries is done without any problems, and patients remain completely satisfied with their result.
However, you should be informed of possible complications:
- Hematomas, which may require rapid removal.
- Pain and even local necrosis of the skin, which can cause a delay in healing (the risk is increased by intoxication from smoking).
- Infection is an exceptional case.
- The defeat of the nervous system: the defeat of the facial nerve, which can cause paresis or even paralysis of the facial nerve, is exceptional. The consequences usually disappear within several months. Even less often, there may be paralysis of the spinal nerve (the nerve that lifts the shoulder).
- Abnormal, hypertrophic and even keloid scars with unpredictable appearance and development can adversely affect the aesthetic result and will require local treatment, often prolonged.
In general, you should not overestimate risks, but you should remember that surgical intervention, even seemingly simple, always contains a small but a fraction of the danger.
This is the basic information about a facelift surgery that you should know. If you need such an operation in the near future, we recommend that you keep this article in your bookmarks, reread it again after the consultation and think about it with a fresh mind.
Perhaps, after thinking about this issue, you will have questions that Medifrance Solution consultant can answer. Do not hesitate, ask your questions using the feedback form or on the phone.